Monday, March 14, 2011

Getting the Farm Education

During be past two months, the husband and I have been enrolled in Farm College.  Yes, I said Farm College.  It is for new and small farms in Ohio.  Each week we learn about a new aspect of running a farm.  The best part- They provide food, so I don't have to cook!  A coworker and her family is also enrolled, so each week we try to guess what we will be eating that night.  Never did we guess that one night it would be goat stew and leg of lamb.  I have to say, it was quite tasty.  Besides eating good food, we learn about insurance, marketing, raising livestock, growing veggies, taxes, business planning, and resource management.  Since beginning farm college, we have attended a class on timber management.  Last weekend we spent some time in Southern Ohio at a small farm conference and trade show.  Armed with all of this knowlege, I might prove to be quite dangerous in our new venture working on the farm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment