Sunday, May 15, 2011

Planting a Garden

Last weekend we finally were able to load Whitey and take her to be sold.  Since she was the only white cow left in the herd, it is kind of strange to look up in the field and not see her there.  Every afternoon when I get home from work, I do a quick check on the cows and give them whatever is needed.  This time of year they are pretty low maintenance.  I usually need to give them mineral every few days and feed them a couple times a week. 

Since the cows seem to be less time consuming right now, we have been focusing on getting our garden started.  Last year we had a very small garden with only 4 types of veggies/fruits.  It went so well, we decided to expand this year.  We have been working on getting 3 spots ready to be tilled/planted.  Some seeds have been started indoors and will be planted this weekend.  This year I will plant cucumbers, head lettuce, candy onions, green beans, cantaloupe, mini and regular pumpkins, gourds, popcorn, sweet corn, and ornamental corn.  A nice variety for only my second year having a garden.  I am going to learn to can some of the veggies and hope to sell some of the produce if we have extra.  Not only is this a busy time for planting, I am also starting the last 6 hrs of my Master's Degree that will be finished by June 29 and finishing the school year with my preschoolers. I will need to be creative to find time for all of these projects...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment